Skip to main content

THE PEMBERTON STORY (the origin of Coca Cola...)


As curious as I can be, I said to myself one day; "What is the real deal behind coca cola? How comes such a huge success, with their brand everywhere?" But what I found out was more intriguing than their success story. I came to discover more beyond their success story. Unable to sleep I kept on pondering on how a tremendous asset was let go. So I decided to share with the rest of the world, my own point of view of the Pemberton story.

It all started in 1865 when Pemberton sustained an injury to the chest during the battle of Columbus. And soon became addicted to morphine in order to ease his pain. Not long after, seeking a cure from his addiction, he started experimenting with painkillers  and  also using coca and kola nut. To cut the story short, after series of vigorous research coca cola was born. But soon after the product has hit the market, Pemberton fell ill and also battling bankruptcy. Sick and desperate Pemberton began selling rights to his business and also the coca cola formula to his partners in Atlanta. The decision to sell this rights came due to the expenses for his morphine addiction. But with a hunch that someday his brand might became a household drink, he decided to retain part of his shares and also the right to the brand name (coca cola) for his son Charley Pemberton. But on August 16, 1888 Charles Pemberton died. After the death of Charles, the son started selling his own share because he needed the money been an alcoholic and a drug addict. Shortly after this he died. The only thing left for the Pemberton family was the brand name. But I was marvelled at a decision Clifford Lewis made (Dr Charles Pemberton's wife). The decision was to sell the brand name for only $300.

And it holds till today that the family of Pemberton has no claim or whatsoever to coca cola.
The success that accompany the idea was not feasible to them. They were only consigned about now and not thinking of posterity. After they have lost everything in 1912, coca cola was purchased by a group of inventors for US$25 million. This I believe the Pemberton family will live to regret. We are all living testimony today of how coca-cola has succeeded over the years. A company which now have a net worth of US$90.093 billion, making it one of the largest company in the world and with a product that is widely recognized by over ninety four percent of the world’s population, also with a brand name that is more popular than the name of any country in the world (even the US).
A brand that has been speculated to be a house hold drink, with everyone in a lifetime must one way or the other taste coca cola during their lifetime. What an achievement and what a great lose to John Pemberton and his family for selling away there gold mine. The name Pmberton is gradually fading away because he and his family gave up on his dream. Steve Jobs will always be known for inventing Apple, Graham Bells will always be known for inventing the telephone, the Wright brothers will always be remembered for the invention of the aeroplane, Bill Gates will always be known as Microsoft inventor. What will you be known for? Will you chose to give up on your dreams like the Pemberton family?
Never allow your immediate need supersedes your lifetime vision and mission. Be persistent. Be ready to stand by your dream no matter what because you can never tell what is ahead of you. John Pemberton has the idea but he doesn’t have the mindset to succeed. He was not driving by his dreams neither was he passionate enough to stand by it. Everything that has come to be is a product of imagination and ideas. If you have one; guide it, explore it, build on it. The difference between HERE and THERE is 'T'. You are here right now because you are heading there. There is a place of fulfillment, is a place of accomplishments. Focus on there, using here as a stepping stone. Don't be too mindful of here forgetting about there.

I hope this article helped you as intended and thank you for reading till this point. Please do share with someone to save an idea.
With love from;
KELVIN OLUSEYI ELETA.
+23420232417
©HopeDose int'l.
2016

Comments

Articles you might also be interested in

Why I owe it all to my dear Mom (a true life story)

As a little boy in my third term in primary three. I came running home from school on a faithful day after end of the term closure, screaming at the top of my voice. Shouting so loud that everyone in the neighborhood could hear me, as I was desperately looking for my mom everywhere. I just couldn't contained the joy I was feeling inside and couldn't wait to share the good news with her. Because I've made her proud for sure this time around (I thought to myself). On getting home, I met her absence, which increased my level of anticipation to see her and share the good news.
So I sat down at the entrance of the house expectantly with smiles all over my face. I waited patiently but she wouldn't come home. So about an hour and a half later, I stared towards the direction of her usual route and behold there she was. I felt a rush of adrenaline mixed with joy and excitement rush through my vain. So I rushed towards her few distance away from home. "Welcome ma'am. I…

Distinguishing Schooling From Education (The Leonardo Experience).

Schooling and education are two concepts that has been widely misunderstood by all. These two concepts varies not only in attributes, but also in contextual meaning. Many of us go to school and we see schooling as education (It happened to me also before I realized my stand), so we allow our knowledge to be based solely on what we were thought in school without any advancement plan. I do tell my colleagues that, a professor is only considered an expert in his own field. But once he steps outside his jurisdiction, he become a total novice. Schooling is good and education is fantastic. Both are of great importance and in other to survive in our world today, we certainly can’t do without both. That is where the issue of contradiction comes into existence and needed to be addressed. There is a need to be able to distinguish between these two concepts and have a clearer understanding of how not to contradict them in any situation. What is Schooling? According to Oxford Advance Learners Dic…

Who Is In Charge? The Choice Is Yours To Make.

As young adults we all have ambitions, we all have things we want to achieve in life. But as time passes by the choices we made, one way or the other take us of course far away from what we truly want. Where you are today is a reflection of the choices you have made in the past. What you have today interns of properties or even people that surrounds you, are all a reflection of the choices you’ve made.  Your Choice creates your destiny. I always like to call it the architect of our existence in life. Things don’t just happen, we cause them to happen. You and I are responsible for every little thing that is going on in our life.  Going down the memory lane, back to the very beginning when everything was still as innocent as it can be. There is a ground design. There are laid down rules that are never meant to be broken. Laws of nature are there to guide us in every of our activities here on earth. But there is one single thing that the creator decided to live in our hands, we are at l…